Welcome Guest, It appears you are not registered with our community. To gain full access to the forums Click Here and register today!

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:27 pm 
GPONA GT Member
GPONA GT Member

Thanks given: 0 time
Shouting out to all those gurus, looking for a little insight on this one, started doing this yesterday, girlfriend unlocks door with her key, no fob, and starts car, drives about 5 miles and then gets "service theft system" on the DIC, can't get rid of it without stopping car, unlocking doors using the key fob then starting again, then back on again next time she uses her key? any ideas? I'm stumped.

2004 gt2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:31 pm 
In the immortal words of Kevin Harvick... "Why not try getting a new girlfirend?"

Actually, I think the system is designed to operate just the way you are describing. If you lock the door with the keyfob, it wants you to use the keyfob to unlock the door.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:11 pm 
BANNED

Thanks given: 1 time
I tried to unlock the door with the key and the alarm went off, man it scared the daylights out of me! :shock: Why in the world you would want to use the key instead of the fob is beyond me...unless the fob wasn't working.

Superchips ECM/TCM Tune- Volant CAI
Solo Axlebacks - HID's
Holden V8 Badges

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:17 am 
GPONA Addict
GPONA Addict
Donating Member
Donating Member

Name: Brian C.
What do you do when the battery dies in the fob?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:32 am 
GPONA GTP Addict
GPONA GTP Addict

Name: Alan
my fob was out of comission for a while and the same thing happened to me. what it means is that the alarm wont automatically set next time you lock your car, you have to reset it using the fob or i believe delayed locking will do it also but im not quite sure.

if anyone cares i also know that if you lock your keys in the trunk with the doors locked and alarm set and you climb in through the sunroof, pull down the seats and crawl in and get them, then are dumb enough to pull the emergency latch on the inside (it was glowing and i was interested...) that also sets the alarm off. and its a bit of a PITA to crawl out of your own trunk, wipe the rice out of your hair and unlock and reset your alarm while being stared at by about 20 people. :grin: just for future reference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:36 am 
GPONA Addict
GPONA Addict
Donating Member
Donating Member

Name: Brian C.
LMAO :laughing3: You should have ran out of the car screaming, "free at last, god almighty I am free at last!!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:13 am 
GPONA GT Member
GPONA GT Member

funny thing is the theft system is disabled in the DIC, and she's been using the car for 3 months and it never did it before, just started the other day. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:23 am 
The Stig
The Stig
Donating Member
Donating Member
Premium Member

Thanks given: 5 times
Name: Anthony Carmenate
04GPGTslpr wrote:
my fob was out of comission for a while and the same thing happened to me. what it means is that the alarm wont automatically set next time you lock your car, you have to reset it using the fob or i believe delayed locking will do it also but im not quite sure.

if anyone cares i also know that if you lock your keys in the trunk with the doors locked and alarm set and you climb in through the sunroof, pull down the seats and crawl in and get them, then are dumb enough to pull the emergency latch on the inside (it was glowing and i was interested...) that also sets the alarm off. and its a bit of a PITA to crawl out of your own trunk, wipe the rice out of your hair and unlock and reset your alarm while being stared at by about 20 people. :grin: just for future reference.

It helps to have a spare key in your wallet ;-)
If I ever get locked out of my car it would really look bad on me... my parents are locksmiths.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:42 pm 
GPONA GTP Addict
GPONA GTP Addict

Thanks given: 3 times
Name: Mike
04GPGTslpr wrote:

That's the funniest thing I've read all day! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:22 pm 
GPONA GTP Addict
GPONA GTP Addict

glad i could brighten your day!

thats odd that it only started recently, put the car in prk and enter programing mode on the dic and see she changed something on the alarm settings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:31 pm 
GPONA Addict
GPONA Addict

That's usually what it says when you have to do a security relearn. Did you recently put in a pcm? Try the security relearn from this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:38 pm 
BANNED

No thats different, in that case the car won't start at all.

Solo Axlebacks - HID's
Holden V8 Badges

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:15 am 
GPONA GT Member
GPONA GT Member

nothing has changed, i didn't put anything into the car, it just randomly did this. The car does have an aftermarket starter installed, could this be the culprit?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:32 pm 
GPONA Lady
GPONA Lady
Donating Member
Donating Member

That glowing thing is pretty. I've gotten to use it before. Someone shut me in my trunk so see if i could get out.

Anyway
at one point my brother couldn't use his fob, because the doors would not work if you tried to lock them with the fob or with the button. For the longest time he had to lock them all manually, and it was a pain me driving it even. lol. We looked dumb to say the least, GPs are way too big to reach across to unlockdoors!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:56 pm 
GPONA GTP Addict
GPONA GTP Addict

Quote:
GPs are way too big to reach across to unlockdoors!!

says you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:14 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
The car does have an aftermarket starter installed, could this be the culprit?

That's probably the cause of the problem. Evidently it's not compatible with the security system in your car.

Solo Axlebacks - HID's
Holden V8 Badges

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:36 am 
GPONA GT Member
GPONA GT Member

the starter has been in the car for like 3 years working fine before i bought the car. I read somewhere in the Bonneville forums that the cold causes that error on most of those cars, could it be a similar thing since it's just recently beginning to get cold, sub 32 mostly this week. does anyone else living in cold areas get this error?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:47 pm 
GPONA GTP Member
GPONA GTP Member

Name: Pascal
I just got a remote starter installed on my 2008 abbout 2 weeks ago, an Autostart AS-1252, and I am not experiencing that issue even though its been below 0C all of the past week or so. I know they had to install a GM security bypass kit along with the remote starter.

When I start my car with the remote starter, the DIC says something about the security theft system beeing disabled or needing service, then when I put in the key and turn the ignition to ON, the message goes away and the DIC shows "service park lamps", I then clear that message and all is well. If I start the car normally with the key without using the remote start, everything is normal and works as it should.

I suspect I get the service parklamps message on the dic when starting with the remote start most likely because the parklamps turn on with the car when using the remote start but the BCM says to itself, "i did not order them to turn on" which probably triggers that message....maybe im way off though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:17 pm 
GPONA Addict
GPONA Addict

Maybe the relay went bad that disables the theft system when you start the car. I've had that happen on an aftermarket starter before. I'd take it back to the people that installed it and have them check it out for you. They probably have seen it before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:41 pm 
GPONA GT Member
GPONA GT Member

I'm not sure who installed it but i have determined that it may be linked to the key sense wire, possibly loose or maybe corroded where they tapped into it, i jiggled the wires around a bit where the starter connects to the bcm and it seems to have gone away, will see in the morning when the gf takes the car to work at 3am. should be like 12 degrees out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:31 pm 

Name: alex
i have a 2004 gt2. i install remote starters and alarms out here in buffalo. i know that in order to get rid of that annoying message you first need to know what you are doing. if you do you take the remote starter and find your key sense wire or ground when running wire, theyre both - output. find the key sense wire on the car. i believe its light green wire coming from the ignition. cut that wire in half. take a diode with the grey stripe facing the key and reconnect the wire with the diode in the line. then t-tap the keysense or the ground when running wire to the keysense wire on the car. but you MUST do it before the diode. this should put the service theft system away in either a moment or 3-7 days.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:05 am 
GPONA GT Member
GPONA GT Member

holy back from the dead batman!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:50 am 

Name: John Baczanski
coolasice wrote:
the starter has been in the car for like 3 years working fine before i bought the car. I read somewhere in the Bonneville forums that the cold causes that error on most of those cars, could it be a similar thing since it's just recently beginning to get cold, sub 32 mostly this week. does anyone else living in cold areas get this error?

I am in the same boat! Just got my car in june and now i am getting the "service theft system" "starting disabled due to theft system" messages in my DIC. Remote start wont work either

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 am 

Name: Tristan
HookedUpGTP wrote:
In the immortal words of Kevin Harvick... "Why not try getting a new girlfirend?"

Actually, I think the system is designed to operate just the way you are describing. If you lock the door with the keyfob, it wants you to use the keyfob to unlock the door.

While that may be true, I don't think that will give you the 'Service Theft System' warning. I left my keys at a friends house after locking my car with the fob, and used my spare key to get back to his place - I received no warning from my DIC.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:45 am 
GPONA GT Member
GPONA GT Member

Name: jayke
mines worse guys, i will driving along and everything in the car cuts off but still runs fine and i get service theft system warning. have to pull over and restart the car. since ive owned it, its only happend 3 times