Welcome Guest, It appears you are not registered with our community. To gain full access to the forums Click Here and register today!

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:53 pm 
GPONA GTP Member
GPONA GTP Member

Thanks given: 0 time
Name: Mike
"UPDATE"
"After trying one of the hacked modules for a day in a vehicle I soon realized after the car is shut off for a while it would lose the presets and default to channel 1 after startup.

This Preset problem Only affects the Class2 XM Modules, meaning grand prix's, older impalas, Older GM Trucks, etc. Basically if your vehicle takes GM Lan XM Modules like the newer GM Trucks, 06-up impalas, newer malibus removing this chip has no side affects. The only effect is not having theflock anymore :)

The reason for this is on class2 modules it is the xm module that stores the presets, Not the headunit.

On GMLAN XM Modules it is the headunit that stores the presets and not the xm module, this is why they are not affected.

On one class 2 module I was able to resolve the preset problem by completely removing the chip and carefully solder another one in from another XM module and somehow it is working perfect and even works in different cars without re-locking itself again."

If you ever decide to install the factory XM option on your Grand Prix or any other GM car and you get a used XM reciever module you will quickly find out it will end up being theftlocked.
On our cars it will show XM LOCKED and on GMLAN vehicles it wil show XM THEFTLOCKED.
When I installed the XM option on mine it was of course locked so after going to the dealer and finding out as many others on here and different forums these things are useless once they have been in a vehicle already...The VIN is learned on the first ignition cycle and the dealerships nor the tech 2 itself can unlock these like they do with headunits.
The only way until now was to send them away to a delphi radio service center to get the EEPROM chip cleared or buy a new one from GM.

My last trip to the junkyard I gathered 5 of these modules, one was a class2 module which works with our cars, and the others were GMLAN modules from cobalts and g6`s which use a different data bus then our cars. I wanted to do some experiments.
I opened one up and wondered which of these chips actually learn the VIN and is there any way to clear it... I selected the suspect chip by narrowing them down to which ones are memory related, then I narrowed it down by physical size...A vin number doesnt take up alot of memory so shouldnt need an overly big sized chip.

Attempt #1 I got out a BBQ Igniter and zapped the suspect chip I chose on the circuit board based on its size and resembling an eeprom chip...this killed the module and so I tossed it.

Attempt #2 I opened up another XM module and cut the wires to the chip as shown in the pictures, Plugged it in and no more theftlock...called to activate it after taking these pics and it fully activated no problems at all

I did the same to the class 2 module that previously showed locked in my car, Plugged it in and magically it is now unlocked and working...worked for all the other modules I gathered as well.

This is an issue many people on many forums for multiple GM vehicles have encountered and thoguht I would make this post so people dont have to resort to buying BRAND NEW modules just because of this hurdle. The MOD only takes like two minutes to do...I used nail clippers to grab the leads on the chip and snip them but just be careful you dont wreck any other circuitry near this chip.

As a furthur update to this process you might come across GM's Newer design of these xm modules, these have one big sticker on the middle of the module as opposed to the two stickers they normally have.

On this new design where we used to cut that chip away, well there is no longer a chip there...seems they changed things around a bit.

Heres a pic of Old Vs New,

Attachment:

And here a pic of a newer module showing the location of the old chip and where you will find the new chip that has to be taken out,

Attachment:

The module I used that was the newer design is the newer GM Lan Modules, The class2 ones are made exactly the same way and know this from opening up someone eleses but not actually doing the hack. There is a possibility with these smaller chips that maybe pulling this chip on the newer models will keep the presets if they are stored in another chip...but this is just speculation as i will have to get my hands on a newer class2 module to experiment before i say anything for sure. if this theroy proves correct it will make it a whole lot easier for us class2 data bus car owners.

Attachments:

100_2142.JPG [ 823.11 KiB | Viewed 3578 times ]
EXIF-Data

Focus length: 7.5 mm
Shutter speed: 1/60 Sec
F-number: F/2.8
ISO speed rating: 80
Whitebalance: Auto
Flash: Flash fired, auto mode
Camera-model: KODAK EASYSHARE V1003 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Exposure program: Normal program
Exposure bias: 0 EV
Metering mode: Pattern

100_2144.JPG [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 3578 times ]
EXIF-Data

100_2146.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 3578 times ]
EXIF-Data

100_2141.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 3578 times ]
EXIF-Data

100_2140.JPG [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 3577 times ]
EXIF-Data

Last edited by
michaelbm on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:19 pm 
GPONA Addict
GPONA Addict
Donating Member
Donating Member
Premium Member

Good stuff. :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:39 pm 
ElectroniX Tech
ElectroniX Tech

Name: Chris
Nice job! ^^^^ this is why you have to love electronics, them claim its locked we say got nail clippers? lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:49 pm 
GPONA GTP Member
GPONA GTP Member

Haha pretty much... I was very surprised it actually had worked. It's too bad the headunits are not like this too, I tried it on a 6 disc I had here for parts and all it said was "error"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 pm 

Name: tim
Hi! Just happened on to this site and found your fix for theft lock on GMC. I was wondering if this would also work on my '07 Chev Silverado as it comes up XM Theft Lock. My radio looks exactly like the one on your site. This would help me alot as the dealers want over $160 to remove the theft lock. Just wondering if all XM boxes are the same? Thanks for any info you can provide. Tim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 pm 
GPONA GT Member
GPONA GT Member

get another one from the salvage yard and try it... can't hurt can it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:45 pm 
GPONA GT Member
GPONA GT Member

tman wrote:
Hi! Just happened on to this site and found your fix for theft lock on GMC. I was wondering if this would also work on my '07 Chev Silverado as it comes up XM Theft Lock. My radio looks exactly like the one on your site. This would help me alot as the dealers want over $160 to remove the theft lock. Just wondering if all XM boxes are the same? Thanks for any info you can provide. Tim

"XM Theftlocked" is with regards to the XM module/unit which is separate from the head unit. That $160 charge is for the dealer to unlock the head unit. No dealership can unlock the XM unit. Don't even try, it's a waste of time.

coolasice wrote:
get another one from the salvage yard and try it... can't hurt can it?

Well that's the problem, lol. Each XM module is linked up to the VIN of its vehicle the moment they are connected. This marrying process is one time only. The moment you take out a married/used XM module and put it in another vehicle with a different VIN, the module locks and an "XM Lock", "XM Locked", or "XM Theftlocked" message is displayed.

The module's EEPROM needs to be cleared and only then can you link the module up to a new vehicle. But just like before, this new marrying process is permanent until the module is cleared again.

The service fee is $35 and can be cleared by sending the module to these people: http://www.instrumentsales.com/info.php

More reading and information on the entire process: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corv ... olved.html

$35 plus the price of a salvage XM module ($35 in my case ~1.5 years ago) definitely outweighs the price of a new module from the dealership!

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited by GXP25 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:16 am 
GPONA GTP Member
GPONA GTP Member

Exactly what gxp 25 said, these things CANNOT be unlocked by dealers no matter what they try to tell you....Not at all possible :)

So this leaves two options;

Send it back to instrument sales to get the eeprom cleared for a small fee which worked great for gxp25

Or if "attempt this hack as stated above"
Basically my first attempt by just cutting the leads on the eeprom worked but on class 2 modules at least i would always end up lossing the presets and defaulting to channel 1 on the next startup after being shut off for a while.

Not sure if this would affect GMLAN modules as you would have in your 07 silverado. as I have no gm lan vehicle to actually try my extra unlocked modules I have. However on the class two module if i would desolder the eeprom from one module and resolder it in the module i wanted unlocked it would remain unlocked and function properly even after being shut off for extended periods.

Your module would be the exact same inside, just chip model numbers a different but the unlocking process is the same.
If your a gambler and you can get another replacement module easily i would say cut those four leads on that chip and let us all know if it remembers your presets and current channel after being shut off for an hour.

If it gets pissed after being shut off you can eaither grab a chip from another module and solderit in the target module carefully or grab another used module and send it right to the service depot to get unlocked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:28 pm 

Name: tim
So some of you guys wanted to know if you loose your pre sets and as of yet i have not lost mine after doing the little operation.I also did another test with another xm unit and instead of cutting them all at once I cut them one at a time and found only two are all you need to cut for the radio theft lock to disappear.Hope this helps?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:15 pm 
GPONA GTP Member
GPONA GTP Member

Thats great to hear, so now from what I can see only the older class2 units lose the presets unless you resolder another chip and the gmlan ones are not affected by the operation at all.

Thanks for posting back and enjoy your XM :razz:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:19 am 

Name: Tom
Hi, Thank you!!!!!

I know this is an antique post but I joined this forum just to let you know this works on a 2013 Silverado as well.. I had the theft message up until I removed the 5 pin chip(new style).. I used solder wick and found it was easier to remove than to try and only lift one side..

No more theft message, Xm radio works great, and pre-sets are stored in the radio so I have no issues with that whatsoever!! :)

Great job!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:43 pm 

Name: Jason
Nice. I will be trying this. Have a lifetime subscription on a car I was going to trade in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:12 pm 
GPONA GTP Member
GPONA GTP Member

Thanks given: 8 times
Name: spazzz
I liked to see the pics but can't view them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:39 pm 

Name: anthony
Can someone tell me which wires to cut???

-- Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:30 pm --

Anyone?? Marco....

-- Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:36 pm --

Bump. Doesn't anyone on here recall which wires are to be cut in order to overcome the theft lock?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 pm 

same here, looking for the wires to cut :-(

-- Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:08 pm --

looking at teks post, the 5 pin chip is the one on the lower/middle right. i dont see any other 5 pin chips. the small rectangular chip above the large square one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:55 pm 
GPONA GTP Member
GPONA GTP Member

Been a long while on here not sure what happened to the pics but heres one i found :)

Most are the older models with the two white stickers on the outside of the casing, if this is yours you will have the 8 pin chip, cut off power to this chip by disconnecting all the pins on either side..., on the newer ones you have a 5 pin chip close to the origionals location, remove this chip and be done.

On class 2 vehicles such as the grand prix it has been known that the headunit "forgets" xm presets after ignition off for ten minutes, gm lan vehicles seem unaffected by this as far as the preset memory goes.